Yes, it's the tenant's responsibility to set and use the heating according to the manufacturer's guidelines.

Your heating will usually be controlled by two appliances - the boiler and the thermostat/programmer.


If you're not accustomed to having a boiler (for instance if you're from a hot country), then these are some examples of what boilers look like:

Gas Boiler Examples:

Image result for boilers

Electric Boiler Example:

Related image

For more information about checking your boiler please visit:


Thermostat and Programmer Examples:

Image result for boiler thermostats Image result for boiler thermostats  Image result for boiler thermostats  Image result for boiler thermostats

You should first ensure that there are fresh batteries in the thermostat/programmer unit. This is the NUMBER ONE issue - even if the programmer looks like it is functioning, if the batteries are too low then it will not be able to signal your boiler - put new batteries in the programmer as a first step.

Then, if you have the simple thermostat shown above with the wheel that turns (this type of thermostat doesn't usually need batteries), just turn it to the desired temperature. Then follow the advice in your boiler manual to ensure that your boiler is set to listen to the thermostat (see here for more information about finding your boiler manual).

If you have one of the digital programmers above, then search on google for the make and model of shown on the programmer + user manual. For example "Drayton Digistat RF3 + Manual" and you should find the manual within a few minutes of searching. Note: Sometimes you need to look under the battery flap to find the make and model of the programmer.

For more information, you may wish to visit:

If you are not capable or just don't want to program the boiler/programmer yourself, then you should ask a friend or family member to help you or you should hire a contractor (at your own expense). If you report a repair to us and it turns out that the issue is due to you not using the system correctly, then you will be charged for the gas engineer/electrician's call out charge and an administration for the time to handle the matter. Gas Engineers/Electricians are a lot more expensive than handymen, so we recommend that you first program the boiler/programmer yourself or hire a handyman to do it for you before you report it to us as Heating or Boiler problem.

Remember, if you report an issue to us and it turns out to be something that you should have done yourself or it is something that is caused by your (or your visitors) actions or failure to act, then you will be liable for the contractor charges. To report the issue to us after attempting all of the above, then please visit: 

For more information on the suggested steps above, you can search online to find articles that might be helpful. Our advice is provided in good faith, without any liability accepted by us. You should follow any suggestions with care and attention and if you do not have the skills or know-how required to carry out your tenant-like responsibilities then you ask a competent friend or hire someone to help you.